Rules for Slap Hitting

Posted by: Bob K

Rules for Slap Hitting - 05/05/08 09:44 PM

As far as footwork (where feet can be/when they can be there) I'm assuming that feet need to start in batters box, still be in batters box at the time the bat hits the ball. Is this correct, and is there anything else that can be called against the batter when she tries to slap hit?

Thanks in advance!
Bob
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Rules for Slap Hitting - 05/08/08 03:51 AM

Both LL and NCAA rules agree, the batter is out if she makes contact while either foot is on the ground, entirely outside the batters box. A slap shall not be ruled a bunt, if hit foul on strike three. By definition, the swing is a short, chopping motion. At all times, the batter must start with both feet completely in the batters box, the lines are a part of the box.

It is not an easy call for the plate umpire. the pitch is the first concern, ball or strike. By the second inning, the front end of the box is usually pretty hazy, having been stepped on by 6-12 batters.

your friends at East Coast Umpires
Posted by: Bob K

Re: Rules for Slap Hitting - 05/09/08 06:07 PM

Thanks for your response!

By any chance, does East Coast Umpires Association work PAL Girls Softball and NJBL Girls Softball games?

Re: Rules for Slap Hitting - 05/10/08 01:05 AM

No we don't Bob K, not sure who they use..
Posted by: ECUA

Umpire Training Course - 10/23/08 02:29 PM

East Coast Umpires Association (ECUA), Long Island's largest umpiring group, is now accepting applications for its 2009 class. Regardless of your umpiring experience, the ECUA training staff is dedicated in providing you with the best quality training available. No experience is needed and all new umpires will begin to work games during the 2009 season. Training is given in the classroom and on the field by a professionally trained staff of Divsion 1 College Umpires.

Classes will begin in January and will be held weeknights at The Crowne Plaza Hotel (formly The Radisson) in Holtsville, NY.

For further information you can visit: http://www.eastcoastumpires.com or e-mail info@eastcoastumpires.com

Have a great off-season,

East Coast Umpires

Re: Umpire Training Course - 10/27/08 06:38 PM

Thanks

Re: Umpire Training Course - 03/31/16 01:34 PM

if you are slapping and you have 2 strikes, then hit it foul do the same rules apply as if you where sacrificing?
Posted by: Fastpitch Junkie

Re: Umpire Training Course - 04/01/16 07:24 AM

No they do not. Re-read the post outlining the rules of slapping above. With 2 strikes, if the batter actually slaps at the ball and fouls it off, it is just a foul ball and not an out.

The key is all around the interpretation of if the batter is actually slapping or did she attempt to bunt. The way that is determined is based on if the batter actually separates her hands to bunt or ball or keeps them together to slap.

Many slappers will choke up as they start their slapping motion, so moving both hands as one up the barrel of the bat is still an attempt to slap and therefore the batter is not out if she fouls off the ball.

Also Slappers perform 3 types of slaps and last one know as a 'soft' slap especially with two strikes and that really is just a check swing. But this is still considered slapping and therefore the batter is not considered out if foul.

Hope this helps!

Re: Umpire Training Course - 04/01/16 02:16 PM

? I think the question is if the batter is out. i think if your slapping and you foul off the ball its the same as if you were swinging. foul ball your still alive.

Most umps are not looking at your feet, more if you touch or cross the plate.

Re: Rules for Slap Hitting - 04/20/17 02:26 AM

I often see players in both HS and College stepping out of the box before they make contact on a slap hit. It's annoying because Umps never make that call.

Re: Rules for Slap Hitting - 04/22/17 09:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Anonymous
I often see players in both HS and College stepping out of the box before they make contact on a slap hit. It's annoying because Umps never make that call.

This complaint can only come from the parent of a pitcher.

Re: Rules for Slap Hitting - 04/23/17 04:08 PM

Just an observation watching college ball on tv. It seems to me the game is moving back to power hitters rather than slappers. Not a knock on slappers at all. It just something noticed

Re: Rules for Slap Hitting - 04/24/17 07:53 PM

Just an observation watching college ball on tv. It seems to me the game is moving back to power hitters rather than slappers. Not a knock on slappers at all. It just something noticed

I don't see the advantage of slapping. The batter runs toward the pitcher, makes contact, & still needs to turn to run toward 1st. It seems more of defensive style of hitting, you take a fast girl that's a so-so hitter, make her lefty, tell her to make contact, on the ground & run & hope she beats it. If a girl can hit, just let her swing, she will hit the ball more solidly, and get down the line just as fast. I still have my fast batters bunt, that makes the fielder move.... Watching games on TV, most slappers are thrown out, unless they bunt. It looks like at the college level, those players are making clean plays & strong throws. Some hits are beat out, but more are thrown out. Just my observation. But please when you play my teams, have your lefties slap....it's usually a nice 1 hop grounder to 3rd for an out.

Re: Rules for Slap Hitting - 04/27/17 11:08 AM

You couldn't be more wrong with regards to the strategy of slap hitting. Just another know it all Dad without a clue how the game is supposed to be played.

To your point, if not executed correctly, can be a liability but there are girls who have gotten full scholarship on their ability to slap (correctly). There are many girls who can execute the skill correctly (yes, even on Long Island). And before someone on this board accuses me of being defensive because DD is a slapper, she's not. She's a long ball hitter. She does not have the speed to be a slapper.

Good luck with your team.

Re: Rules for Slap Hitting - 05/01/17 02:37 PM

I don't see the advantage of slapping. The batter runs toward the pitcher, makes contact, & still needs to turn to run toward 1st. It seems more of defensive style of hitting, you take a fast girl that's a so-so hitter, make her lefty, tell her to make contact, on the ground & run & hope she beats it. If a girl can hit, just let her swing, she will hit the ball more solidly, and get down the line just as fast. I still have my fast batters bunt, that makes the fielder move.... Watching games on TV, most slappers are thrown out, unless they bunt. It looks like at the college level, those players are making clean plays & strong throws. Some hits are beat out, but more are thrown out. Just my observation. But please when you play my teams, have your lefties slap....it's usually a nice 1 hop grounder to 3rd for an out.

I have watched the tli 99 play and they have a few slappers in their line up. Haa your team played them? And if so, how did the slappers fair against your team?

Re: Rules for Slap Hitting - 05/04/17 06:51 PM

I have watched the tli 99 play and they have a few slappers in their line up. Haa your team played them? And if so, how did the slappers fair against your team?

First of all it wasn't a knock on slappers - just pointing out the trend.back towards power hitting. I'm sure it will cycle again like everything. And we play TLI and know they slap so we play them for that - so maybe 60-40 that they reach base. And again the comment was about watching college softball - SEC softball - TLI is no comparison

Re: Rules for Slap Hitting - 05/05/17 05:00 AM

Curious minds want to know, what is your team ?

Re: Rules for Slap Hitting - 05/05/17 08:13 PM

I have not watched Team 99 play. they're older than my team. I would like to see how they fare at the college level. I have 2 fast righties that hit just fine. I would never consider turning them to slappers. If they can get on base by hitting or bunting (righties can bunt too), I don't see the point of slapping. It's obvious that girls get scholarships for slapping. I would love to do a comparison of girls that swing vs slap, & see who gets more scholarships. I would think a batter that can hit, gets $$ regardless of lefty or righty.

Re: Rules for Slap Hitting - 05/06/17 06:42 AM

Such an arrogant, close minded, ignorant approach to the game. And you call yourself a coach?

Re: Rules for Slap Hitting - 05/07/17 01:13 PM

Storm Academy philosophy at its best.(or at its worst).
HARD WORK AND DEDICATION ... ALWAYS

Re: Rules for Slap Hitting - 05/07/17 06:41 PM

Curious minds want to know, what is your team ?

You'll know when my 3B is throwing out your slapper!

Re: Rules for Slap Hitting - 05/07/17 06:44 PM

Such an arrogant, close minded, ignorant approach to the game. And you call yourself a coach?

I don't have slappers, & I don't call myself a coach, I call myself a "successful" coach, very successful!

Re: Rules for Slap Hitting - 05/08/17 06:03 AM

Whats with quotation marks on successful? You are not sure you're successful? When you are alone in your man cave you strut around calling yourself successful? Or maybe you are successful in the rec ball circuit? Sundays in elementary school fields? Your successful team have a website at least?
Tell us, preach to us oh "successful" coach.

Re: Rules for Slap Hitting - 05/09/17 03:01 PM

Well my kid turned around and indo not regret it one bit..... And she is verballed.

Re: Rules for Slap Hitting - 05/10/17 10:04 AM

My daughter is a slapper. Twice now she has been called out for running out the front of the batter's box when she never made contact, or even attempted to make contact. When she started batting lessons she was told never to hit the ball outside of the box, but letting her momentum carry her outside the box is ok. Again, as long as she doesn't make contact. This has never been an issue in travel ball, only in rec.

Re: Rules for Slap Hitting - 05/10/17 07:39 PM

Well my kid turned around and indo not regret it one bit..... And she is verballed.

OK, so your daughter is verballed..I'm sure there are many more power hitters that are verballed, & getting more $$, coaches today are looking for power, they can teach one of their fast kids (lefty or righty) to bunt. Being a verballed slapper does not guarantee success in college. Don't be surprised when your slapper gets pinch hit for.

Re: Rules for Slap Hitting - 05/14/17 06:04 AM

Hey "very successful coach" how did you like the sec championship game? Seems that ole miss had a bumch of slappers. And then what happened? They won. But keep grooming ypur dd to be a power hitter.

Re: Rules for Slap Hitting - 05/14/17 06:19 PM

Hey "very successful coach" how did you like the sec championship game? Seems that ole miss had a bumch of slappers. And then what happened? They won. But keep grooming ypur dd to be a power hitter.

Your childishness is unbelievable. The topic was it looks like the trend was to power hitting rather than slappers. Yes Ole Miss had a bunch of slappers and were very Successful. No one was saying there weren't slappers - just an observation of the trend to power. . My guess is you turned your dd to a slapper. So if she's a slapper it must be the best thing. try to learn to have a conversation without taking everything personally.

Re: Rules for Slap Hitting - 05/15/17 06:27 AM

OK, so your daughter is verballed..I'm sure there are many more power hitters that are verballed, & getting more $$, coaches today are looking for power, they can teach one of their fast kids (lefty or righty) to bunt. Being a verballed slapper does not guarantee success in college. Don't be surprised when your slapper gets pinch hit for.

Your knowledge of the game is very singular and limited. This is a case of daddy ball thinking he is bigger than the game or more like he knows the game. Good luck with that. Im sure in year or 2 all your power hitters will be verballed. When that happens come back so we can eat crow.

Re: Rules for Slap Hitting - 05/15/17 05:58 PM

Your knowledge of the game is very singular and limited. This is a case of daddy ball thinking he is bigger than the game or more like he knows the game. Good luck with that. Im sure in year or 2 all your power hitters will be verballed. When that happens come back so we can eat crow.

Re: Rules for Slap Hitting - 05/18/17 07:07 PM

I think sappers that pound it into the ground to cause a high hop fair well.

Re: Rules for Slap Hitting - 05/19/17 09:42 AM

" the comment was about watching college softball - SEC softball -". I dont know what SEC game you watched but it seems that the SEC teams are loaded with slappers. And sincerely doubt that your 3B can throw them out.

Re: Rules for Slap Hitting - 05/19/17 10:09 AM

Your childishness is unbelievable. The topic was it looks like the trend was to power hitting rather than slappers. Yes Ole Miss had a bunch of slappers and were very Successful. No one was saying there weren't slappers - just an observation of the trend to power. . My guess is you turned your dd to a slapper. So if she's a slapper it must be the best thing. try to learn to have a conversation without taking everything personally.

Childishness?? Here you are blurting out a statement and when people contradict your statement then you label them childish. Who is the child like now? Cant take criticism.

Re: Rules for Slap Hitting - 05/28/17 09:32 PM

I have been watching the NCAA super regionals. Every slap hitter, to a girl, has one foot out of the box when they hit the ball. Some even step on home plate. None have been called out. What gives?

Re: Rules for Slap Hitting - 06/02/17 10:35 PM

" the comment was about watching college softball - SEC softball -". I dont know what SEC game you watched but it seems that the SEC teams are loaded with slappers. And sincerely doubt that your 3B can throw them out.

I sincerely doubt any of your slappers will be on an SEC team, let alone play on any SEC teams (not even TLI girls will play or even be on a team in that conference). So maybe her 3B won't throw out an SEC slapper, but I think she will throw out most of your slappers

Re: Rules for Slap Hitting - 06/03/17 05:08 PM

I sincerely doubt any of your slappers will be on an SEC team, let alone play on any SEC teams (not even TLI girls will play or even be on a team in that conference). So maybe her 3B won't throw out an SEC slapper, but I think she will throw out most of your slappers

There is a TLI girl playing in the SEC. not a slapper but played for TLI.

Re: Rules for Slap Hitting - 06/03/17 05:09 PM

Your DD probably plays 3rd.

Re: Rules for Slap Hitting - 06/04/17 04:03 AM

Another wrong assumption is that all the slaps go to the 3rd base side.

Re: Rules for Slap Hitting - 06/05/17 07:02 PM

If the ball's not going to 3B, is she executing correctly? I thought the whole concept of slapping was to hit the ball to 3B or SS, then try to beat the throw. I don't know why a good lefty hitter doesn't just swing away, and go for a double, why settle for an IF single. Does the coach not have confidence in her ability to swing?

Re: Rules for Slap Hitting - 06/07/17 05:01 AM

I sincerely doubt any of your slappers will be on an SEC team, let alone play on any SEC teams (not even TLI girls will play or even be on a team in that conference). So maybe her 3B won't throw out an SEC slapper, but I think she will throw out most of your slappers [/quote]

You may want to do your homework before blurting out comments. The catcher on Ole Miss was a TLI player.

Re: Rules for Slap Hitting - 06/07/17 11:34 AM

Third Base on Michigan is an ex TLI player, plus there are many others. Please know what you are talking about!

Re: Rules for Slap Hitting - 06/07/17 07:00 PM

If the ball's not going to 3B, is she executing correctly? I thought the whole concept of slapping was to hit the ball to 3B or SS, then try to beat the throw. I don't know why a good lefty hitter doesn't just swing away, and go for a double, why settle for an IF single. Does the coach not have confidence in her ability to swing?

The slap you are talking about is a Slap bunt , the idea behind the skill is to hit the ball to a place on the infield that's farthest from the place where the out needs to be made. Then there is a power slap,where the focus is on placing the ball just past the infielders but short of the outfielders, or into the gap towards the fence.

Re: Rules for Slap Hitting - 06/07/17 08:42 PM

So after watching OK/FLA, I think it's safe to say, pitching & power win championships! We can put the slapping vs power debate to sleep.

Re: Rules for Slap Hitting - 06/08/17 08:04 PM

If these players are so good that they can place a 60-65 MPH pitch any place they want, while moving, no less, then they should be good enough to hit the same pitch into any gap between the OF, and run for a double or triple! no???

Re: Rules for Slap Hitting - 06/09/17 07:17 AM

As a trainer my slippers typically have a higher on base percentage vs power hitters and once one base steal more often because they are quick. This skill takes years of training to perfect and is a valuable asset college recruiters seek.

Re: Rules for Slap Hitting - 06/02/18 11:49 AM

Had an umpire call my batter out for stepping out of the box after she took a pitch and didnít swing. Saying she has to stay in the box even if she doesnít swing. Iíve never heard of such a thing. (Said it was a new Oklahoma hs rule. Thoughts?

Re: Rules for Slap Hitting - 06/03/18 04:48 PM

Had an umpire call my batter out for stepping out of the box after she took a pitch and didnít swing. Saying she has to stay in the box even if she doesnít swing. Iíve never heard of such a thing. (Said it was a new Oklahoma hs rule. Thoughts?

It is almost close to impossible for an ump to watch for balls and strike and pay attention to where the foot of the slapper is. Either he is paying attention to the kid's foot or strikes.

Re: Rules for Slap Hitting - 06/03/18 04:51 PM

So after watching OK/FLA, I think it's safe to say, pitching & power win championships! We can put the slapping vs power debate to sleep.

One game cannot define whether slap hitting has a place in softball. The Oaklahoma squad a couplr of years ago were loaded with slappers. You play your strengths and with what you have.

Re: Rules for Slap Hitting - 06/03/18 04:52 PM

If these players are so good that they can place a 60-65 MPH pitch any place they want, while moving, no less, then they should be good enough to hit the same pitch into any gap between the OF, and run for a double or triple! no???

Thats the same argument that all strike pitches should have been hit for a home run.

Re: Rules for Slap Hitting - 06/03/18 04:54 PM

Yet both pf them are out of the series. Huskies are in. Guess how they scored and eventually eliminated Oaklahoma? You guessed it. Small ball via slapping.

Re: Rules for Slap Hitting - 06/04/18 07:15 AM

its only offical in college... and the batter has to make contact with the ball...

Re: Rules for Slap Hitting - 04/30/19 11:14 AM

While slapping can the girl step out of the box? Or is she out?

What happens if she is out of the box while making contact?
Posted by: CoachMoe

Re: Rules for Slap Hitting - 08/10/19 11:12 PM

VERY INTERESTED in purchasing renting leasing borrowing etc your 2020 Cooperstown Certificate. Willing to pay and sign a contract. Please email me directly at

WalkerMetsAllstars@gmail.com
OR
Call / Text me at (504)577-8665